Today’s email is brought to you by Empower your podcasting vision with a suite of creative solutions at your fingertips.
Treasurer Jim Chalmers announced Thursday that the Albanese government will abolish 500 more so-called nuisance tariffs, bringing the total to nearly 1,000 scrapped since Labor came to power two years ago.
Chalmers said the move would cut red tape, ease compliance costs for businesses, boost productivity and take pressure off consumer prices.
“This means in total almost 1,000 nuisance tariffs slashed under the life of this Albanese Labor government,” Chalmers told reporters in Canberra. “We are abolishing these nuisance tariffs to help cut red tape, ease the compliance costs on businesses, boost productivity and take some of the pressure off prices as well.”
The government estimates the changes will streamline about $23 billion worth of trade and save Australian businesses roughly $157 million in compliance costs.
Consultation Period Open
A full list of the proposed 500 tariffs has been released on the Treasury website. Chalmers said businesses and stakeholders have until Dec. 10 to provide feedback, with a final decision to be made before the next federal budget.
“These nuisance tariffs often do more harm than good,” he said. “Often we’re talking about very large sums of imports where there is only a tiny sliver of tariff collected, and so it often costs more to comply with the tariff regime than the government raises or benefits for industry.”
Trade Minister’s Support
Trade and Tourism Minister Don Farrell said the move demonstrated Australia’s commitment to free and fair trade.
“We want countries to remove tariff barriers because the way to greater prosperity for our citizens is through free and fair trade,” Farrell said. “We are prepared to make changes to our tariff system to ensure that we reduce costs for Australian businesses and we reduce costs for Australian consumers.”
Farrell linked the announcement to ongoing trade negotiations with the European Union and India and to the free trade agreement with the United Arab Emirates, which came into effect earlier this month.
“We need to send a message to all of those countries around the world that protectionism doesn’t work,” Farrell said. “It actually makes life more expensive for your consumers and you push up unemployment.”
Truth matters. Quality journalism costs.
Your subscription to Mencari directly funds the investigative reporting our democracy needs. For less than a coffee per week, you enable our journalists to uncover stories that powerful interests would rather keep hidden. There is no corporate influence involved. No compromises. Just honest journalism when we need it most.
Not ready to be paid subscribe, but appreciate the newsletter ? Grab us a beer or snag the exclusive ad spot at the top of next week's newsletter.
Broader Reform Push
The tariff cuts follow commitments made at the recent Economic Reform Roundtable, where business and government leaders discussed ways to lift productivity and lower costs.
“This does capitalise on the momentum that was built at the Economic Reform Roundtable,” Chalmers said. “At a time when we are looking for every way we can to reduce compliance costs and reduce input costs for businesses and for consumers, this is a really important step.”
The government previously scrapped nearly 500 nuisance tariffs in 2023, targeting low-revenue import charges that officials said cost more to administer than they raised in revenue.
Chalmers said Thursday’s announcement marked “the second crack” at tariff reform, promising a “meaningful difference” for Australian businesses and households.
Next Steps
The government will review submissions before finalizing which tariffs will be permanently abolished. Officials said the cuts would not affect tariffs that protect significant domestic industries, but would remove levies on a wide range of low-yield goods.
“This is all about making it easier for business,” Chalmers said. “We will make a meaningful difference as a consequence.”
Got a News Tip?
Contact our editor via Proton Mail encrypted, X Direct Message, LinkedIn, or email. You can securely message him on Signal by using his username, Miko Santos.
Sustaining Mencari Requires Your Support
Independent journalism costs money. Help us continue delivering in-depth investigations and unfiltered commentary on the world's real stories. Your financial contribution enables thorough investigative work and thoughtful analysis, all supported by a dedicated community committed to accuracy and transparency.
Subscribe today to unlock our full archive of investigative reporting and fearless analysis. Subscribing to independent media outlets represents more than just information consumption—it embodies a commitment to factual reporting.
As well as knowing you’re keeping Mencari (Australia) alive, you’ll also get:
Get breaking news AS IT HAPPENS - Gain instant access to our real-time coverage and analysis when major stories break, keeping you ahead of the curve
Unlock our COMPLETE content library - Enjoy unlimited access to every newsletter, podcast episode, and exclusive archive—all seamlessly available in your favorite podcast apps.
Join the conversation that matters - Be part of our vibrant community with full commenting privileges on all content, directly supporting The Evening Post (Australia)
Catch up on some of Mencari’s recent stories:
It only takes a minute to help us investigate fearlessly and expose lies and wrongdoing to hold power accountable. Thanks!